Niagara Generator Replacement
Efficiency Engineering put forward several options for sizing and locations, recommending:
- 3 x 500kW gensets.
- On-grade location at the back of the buildings.
- Wooden fencing to hide view from nearby road.
- Reuse existing fluid cooler.
- Professional Cost Consultant estimate: $2,236,000.
- Two buildings, one with an existing 60kW back-up generator and one with an existing 375kW back-up generator.
- Gensets were at the end of their useful lives, undersized for current and future needs, and located in highly visible areas.
- Efficiency Engineering was hired to:
- Combine the two gensets into a single back-up power plant.
- Size the new plant for current and future needs.
- Locate the new plant to maintain current aesthetic views of the two buildings.
- Hire a 3rd party Professional Cost Consultant to estimate the cost of our design options.
Solution and Results
Three 500kW gensets were installed as recommended with the following results:
- We tendered to 5 contractors. Tender prices were significantly lower than budget and 3rd party Professional Cost Consultant’s estimate.
- Our design was installed and is operating as intended.
- Total cost, including extras of $1,413,000, 35% lower than estimated.